10 THINGS PARENTS NEED TO KNOW ABOUT INVISALIGN TEEN
1. WHAT IS INVISALIGN TEEN?
Invisalign Teen is the virtually invisible way to straighten your teen’s teeth without the restrictions that come with metal braces. Rather than wires and brackets, Invisalign® uses a series of clear, removable aligners that have been custom-made for your teen’s teeth. Your teen simply wears them over their teeth and changes them out for a new set of aligners every two weeks. Little by little, your teen’s teeth gradually shift into place, achieving that confident smile.
2. IS INVISALIGN AS EFFECTIVE AS TRADITIONAL BRACES?
Yes. When worn according to the recommendations of an experienced Invisalign-trained orthodontist, Invisalign Teen can be as effective as traditional braces for the most common teeth-straightening issues. Invisalign can effectively treat mild to severe cases, including underbite, overbite, overcrowding and gaps between teeth. The chances are very high your teen will be a great candidate for Invisalign. To find out for sure, locate a certified Invisalign Teen orthodontist in your area at invisalign.com/find-a-doctor and go in for a consultation.
3. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE PRACTICAL ADVANTAGES OF INVISALIGN TEEN OVER TRADITIONAL BRACES?
If you’ve had braces yourself, you already know the issues associated with metal wires and brackets. With Invisalign, the aligners are removable, so your teen can play sports without the worry of being hit in the mouth by a ball, which can cause real damage in braces. They can also continue playing musical instruments properly, without braces getting in the way. With braces, there is a long list of foods your teen shouldn’t eat, from popcorn to apples and raw carrots. With Invisalign, there are no such restrictions. The removable aligners make it easy to brush and floss normally to maintain proper oral hygiene
4. ARE THERE ANY EMOTIONAL CONCERNS TO CONSIDER?
Research¹ shows that parents underestimate the extent to which teens feel self-conscious about crooked teeth, and using braces as a solution can often make this lack of confidence even worse. But with Invisalign Teen, no one needs to know your teen is straightening their teeth, removing a potential source of real anxiety for them and giving them the confidence to be themselves in front of everyone.
5. WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR INVISALIGN TEEN? Invisalign can be used for teens who have erupting or erupted permanent dentition—this includes most teenagers. A trained Invisalign orthodontist should evaluate your teen’s specific dental issues to determine candidacy. If the orthodontist rejects your teen as a candidate, it is advisable to seek a second opinion, as each provider has a different level of experience treating with Invisalign.
6. HOW LONG DOES INVISALIGN TEEN TREATMENT TAKE?
The average treatment time is about the same as with traditional braces, but the actual length of your teen’s treatment depends on the severity of their condition and can only be determined by your orthodontist.
7. HOW MUCH DOES INVISALIGN COST?
Invisalign Teen costs about the same as traditional braces. Costs for orthodontic treatment can vary with geography and with the complexity of treatment – see an Invisalign-trained orthodontist for full details. Also, many orthodontists can offer flexible and affordable monthly payment plans as well.
8. DOES MY TEEN HAVE TO WEAR INVISALIGN ALL THE TIME?
Invisalign Teen is most effective when worn 20 to 22 hours per day and changed every two weeks. Clinical study data show that teens wear their aligners on average for just under 21 hours per day, exactly as recommended. Plus, Invisalign Teen has a built-in assurance check; each aligner has blue indicators that fade over time when used as directed, so the orthodontist can track compliance.
9. WHAT HAPPENS IF AN ALIGNER GETS LOST? Not to worry—Invisalign Teen offers six replacement aligners for free! In the event that an aligner is lost, you should inform your orthodontist right away.
10. HOW MUCH TIME WILL BE SPENT VISITING THE ORTHODONTIST? Invisalign Teen often requires less time with your orthodontist than traditional braces do. There are no adjustments to make, no broken wires to fix. After the initial appointment, follow-up appointments are usually scheduled for every six to eight weeks.
Invisalign VS Braces
Clear aligners are virtually invisible
Smooth comfortable plastic aligners
Aligners are removable for easy cleaning
Eat whatever you want
Visible brackets and wires
Wires can poke and irritate mouth
Brushing and flossing require more effort
Many food restrictions